Robotic spot welding is one of the most common uses for robot welding systems today. Spot welding robots are used in several different industries, including the automotive, aerospace, rail and defense industries.
Robotic Spot welding is a type of electrical resistance welding used to weld various sheet metal products. In this process, copper alloy electrodes are used to concentrate the welding current into a small “spot” and simultaneously clamp the sheets together. The workpieces are held together under the pressure exerted by the electrodes.
Benefits of robotic spot welding compared to a manual process:
- Robotic spot welding is more consistent and reliable, it also provides higher speed and accuracy to the application.
- Spot welding guns are heavy and can be difficult for a welder to reach certain angles.
- Spot welding robots can reach these difficult welding angles because of extended reach and rotation abilities.
- Manual spot welding is a dangerous for workers due to welding spatter and harmful welding gas. This problem is eliminated with the robotic spot welding.
The main components of a typical robotic spot welding cell:
- A robot with appropriate reachability and payload
- Product-specific servo or pneumatic welding gun
- Welding control unit
- Product-specific welding fixture
- Electrode tip dressing and automatic electrode tip changing system
Eurobotik’s experience in spot welding technology can help you improve product quality and reduce cycle time.
Contact us today and speak with a spot welding application expert who will help you get the most out of your spot welding process.